If you are looking for a lawn mower, chances are you have seen these two power brands – and they have quite the high reputation. They have been in the market for many years, but if you are looking to go for the best option for your lawn, it might be helpful to consider the merits and disadvantages each of them have.
Many people cite John Deere as a reliable brand, and therefore will gravitate towards it more often. However, is it the best option for you? You might not want to follow the crowd, or you want actual reasons that make it stand out from the other.
In this article, we focus on the differences and similarities between the two brands, and use that to figure out the best choice for you depending on the circumstances. It helps to start with a general look at what these brands are all about.
What makes these brands stand out?
- 26 HP Kohler engine provides reliable startups and a max speed of 6.5...
- A patent-pending park brake system automatically activates or...
- Air induction mowing technology draws air from the top and bottom of...
- Reinforced steel stamped cutting deck is made of heavy flat-stock...
- Clippings can be discharged, mulched or bagged (mulching kit and...
The interesting name this brand has might be an indication of its origin: it is from Swedish founders, and many people know it as a company that makes outdoor equipment. Its beginnings date back to 1689, and it started as a rifle manufacturer. However, today’s Husqvarna is among the best makers of lawn mowers and tractors in the market, with the production of lawn mowers starting in 1919. It also has plenty of premium equipment including robotic lawn mowers, chainsaws, and so on.
They have many premium models of lawn tractors and mowers today, with the best one being the YTH24K54. They have also grown into a large company through acquiring smaller manufacturers, and they now own several brands that are well-known today.
If you do not know much about Husqvarna, then John Deere might be familiar to you. It traces its beginnings to 1837, thanks to a man named John Deere, and its beginnings began in Grand Detour, Illinois.
Today, they are among the most famous brands dealing in lawn mowers, and they also have tools that help you accomplish any land job you might have – it all has to do with the original intentions of John Deere, as he and his neighbors wanted machines that could solve the land demands of prairie life.
What are the common features of both?
They do not share many features, but here are a few of what they have in common:
- Discharge systems – both these mowers will use a system of 3-in-1, and this allows you to choose whether you want to side discharge, mulch, or bag the clippings as you mow. For all the mowers that use motors, both companies will also include the 3-in-1 discharge system, although Husqvarna will sell manual mowers, which will discharge the clippings only.
- Gas power – if you are searching for gas-powered engines, then this is great news for you. That also allows you to use the mower as long as you want without the limitations of cord lengths or batteries, and they will need less effort to use from you. They also have great extra features, such as the mulching and engine starting.
- Headlights – if you are operating the mower under low-light conditions, then you can use the headlights in both.
- Ease of use and comfort – both these mowers are very comfortable to use, and they incorporate control panels that are easy to find and use buttons to operate. In addition, they use lap bar systems, which allow you to adjust different settings and the speed of the mower, and help you create the best working experience for yourself.
Power, engine and drive
You will always want something that will perform well on your lawn wi3thout you needing to struggle too much, and that is what these are for. Their engines have similar specs, as well as the power and drive not having too many differences, but the difference is that John Deere machines will perform slightly better in the long term.
Regarding the John Deere, the models will come with a cutting deck of 42 inches, and the engine is a 22 horsepower V-Twin type. In case you are not sure if that means much for your mowing work, it basically means that your mower is operating at the highest speed of 7 mph, which allows you to finish the mowing process as efficiently and quickly as possible.
On the other hand, the Husqvarna has a cutting deck at 46 inches (heavier than the previous), while the engine is a 20 horsepower V-Twin engine from the Endurance Series of Briggs & Stratton. That means that the maximum speed is 6.5 mph, although this will have the advantage of speeding up the process through cutting the grass more carefully.
The maximum tank capacity of the Deere is 2.1 gallons compared to the Husqvarna’s 3.5, so you will need to refill it more often – which can be annoying.
The mowers you get from both companies will need a learning curve for you to get used to them, since both use lap bars instead of steering wheels. Their safety record is impeccable though, since they also incorporate speed controls, warning lights and ignition switches that are easy to use.
The Husqvarna will take the trophy though, because of its braking system, which it integrates into the controlling levers instead of having it separate. As you use it, the brakes engage automatically, and the machine will always remain stable.
While the Husqvarna and John Deere models will all have warranty periods for their mowers lasting 2 years, there are some exceptions. The hovering trimmer by Husqvarna has a commercial warranty lasting one year.
When planning to get a lawn mower, you might consider these two models for use. The good news is their similarities, which make them good for your long term lawn work. However, if you are looking for a durable, powerful solution, then the John Deere mowers and land equipment are the better choice – they are not prone to breaking down as often, and still deliver great work quality for many years.