How much does 2 cubic feet of mulch cover? A gardener must have come across this question when caring for the lawn. An initial estimate suggests that a 2 cubic feet of mulch cover 12 square feet. The mulch coverage is influenced by the mulch type, and the depth at which the mulch is being installed.
Mulch is a wonder worker for the garden by holding in moisture and minimizing fluctuations in soil temperatures. Determining how much mulch would be enough, its coverage, and depth is very unsettling for a newbie.
The estimate comes easy for a landscaping professional, who is installing mulch from time to time, without any calculations. Online Mulch calculators are of great help for the beginners in deciding Mulch coverage.
Mulch Types and Coverage
Organic Mulches come to mind when we talk about greater area coverage and affordable prices. Lightweight and easier to use, organic mulch is preferred over others. Inorganic Mulches are comparatively more expensive than the organic ones.
Following mulch types with weight and coverage are discussed in detail below
- Compost Mulch
- Wood Mulch
- Straw Mulch
Compost mulch provides important nutrients to nourish the soil and roots. Compost Mulch is considered one of the best alternatives to inorganic mulches. It is used for insulating soil, killing bad bacteria, and low maintenance walkways.
Compost Mulch Weight
1- and 2-cubic foot bags of compost mulch are available in the market. These bags weigh 44 pounds per cubic foot.
Compost mulch bag covers
- A 2 cubic foot bag, when applied at a thickness of 1 inch, covers an area equivalent to 24 square feet. When the thickness is doubled to 2 inches, the coverage area is sliced to 12 square feet.
- A 1 cubic compost mulch bag covers 12 square feet at 1″ thickness and 6 square feet at 2″ thickness. Compost mulch is best for indoor plants.
The organic wood mulch is economical and ensures easy application and removal. As with other mulches, the coverage area fluctuates in relation to the thickness. The weight of the wood mulch bag is determined by the wetness and dryness of the mulch.
Wood Mulch Weight
The weight of the dry wood mulch bag, on average, is 20 pounds. The weight is doubled when the mulch is wet. Wood mulch comes in 2 cubic foot bags and the recommended application thickness is 2 and 4 inches.
One 2 cubic wood mulch bag has the following coverage
- A 2 cubic wood mulch bag, when applied at a thickness of 2 inches, covers an area of 12 square feet.
- When installed at a thickness of 4 inches, a 2 cubic wood mulch bag covers 6 square feet area.
One of the perks of using wood mulch is that some mulches are treated with pesticides to repel termites and other insects. Wood mulch is available in three varieties, shredded eucalyptus, shredded hardwoods, and pine bark nuggets.
Straw mulch is lightweight, clean, and easier to break down. Straw mulch is useful is germinating seeds. Apply at a thickness of 1 inch so as not to block sunlight, which may affect the germination process.
Straw Mulch Weight
Straw mulch comes in 1 and 2.5 cubic feet bags. A 2.5 cubic feet bag weighs 50 pounds while a 1 cubic feet bag is 20 pounds.
The coverage of straw mulch is
- A 2.5 cubic straw mulch bag has a coverage area of 500 square feet.
- The coverage area of 1 cubic straw mulch bag is 200 square feet.
Factors Influencing Mulch Coverage
The following three main factors affect mulch coverage
- Type of Mulch: Organic Mulches cover a wide area in comparison with the inorganic mulches. Organic mulches like rubber products, river rock, lava rock, marble chips, egg rock, shredded rubber mulch cover a smaller area.
- Thickness: Mulch coverage is highly influenced by the thickness of application. 2″ or 4″ is the recommended thickness. Coverage is sliced into the half when mulch is applied at 4″ thickness.
- Mulch Bedding: If the mulch is to be added to the already placed mulch bedding, the mulch coverage area gets wider.
How much mulch do you need?
A Gardner often seems tangled with this query, trying to figure out the mulch coverage. Follow these steps to know how much mulch do you need.
- Calculate the square footage of the area that requires mulching. Measurements of length and width will help with the calculation.
- Multiply the length with the width and you will get the area in square feet.
- How many mulch bags are needed to mulch the area will highly depend on the weight and coverage of the various types of mulches.
Frequently Asked Questions
How many cubic feet are in a yard of mulch?
Mulch bags come in different sizes, mostly, 2 cubic feet. One cubic yard equals 27 cubic feet.
How many yards of mulch will a pickup truck accommodate?
If we are talking about a full-size pickup truck, 2 or 3 cubic yards of mulch will fit in easily. In the case of a mini pickup truck, it will accommodate 1 or 2 cubic yards.
How much does a 2 cubic mulch bag weigh?
A 2 cubic mulch bag weighs approximately 20 pounds. The weight of the mulch bag varies depending upon the type of mulch and if it is wet or dry.
What is the price of 2 cubic mulch bags?
An average price ranges between $30-$50. This price fluctuates depending on the type of mulch. Inorganic mulch is more expensive than organic mulch.
How many bags of 2 cubic feet mulch are in a yard?
As most mulch bags come, mostly in 2 cubic feet. A yard has 13-½ mulch bags.
Mulching is necessary for moisture retention and suppression of weed. Other than giving a defined look to the garden, it is also celebrated for the garden health. As per a rough estimate, a 2 cubic foot mulch bag covers 12 square feet. But, this number is not definitive, as the mulch coverage varies with the type of mulch and installed thickness.