What if I told you that you don’t have to spend a fortune to get a quality self-propelled mower. Sounds like a dream come right!
It’s not just a dream anymore, Yes, now quality self-propelled lawn mower can cost less than your average lawn care company.
With self-propelled lawn mowers, you don’t have to do the pushing or the pulling when mowing your lawns. They are fitted with drive wheels that propel them like a vehicle. You have complete control of both the front and the rear wheels, and you can also control the speed of the mower so that don’t tire yourself out.
But with so many designs and models in the market today, it is easy to get confused on which type will best suit your lawn mowing needs.
In this piece, we highlight to you how to choose the right lawnmower for your needs, and we also review some of the best self-propelled lawn mowers under $300. We know that you desire for your lawns to look great, but you don’t have to spend a fortune just to acquire a mower.
In a rush? Here’s our top picks of 2021:
Buyer guide – Self-Propelled lawn mower
Buying a self-propelled one should not be a huge decision, but there are certain factors you need to consider to help you choose an appropriate one that will meet all your needs.
The size of your lawn
The first thing you need to consider when buying a self-propelled lawn mower is the size of your yard. That you are thinking of buying this kind of lawnmower should be a subtle indication that you have a yard that is slightly bigger, where using non-self-propelled mowers would not be ideal. For smaller yards, push mowers and reel mowers would get the job done. But for medium to large-sized yards, it will be a good idea to go for self-propelled mowers so that you don’t spend a lot of your energy.
The terrain of your lawn
Push mowers are only effective if you have flat surfaces, but on uneven or steep yards, they become extremely difficult to use. For these kinds of terrains, the self-propelled mowers will do an incredible job because it will save you from the need to keep on pushing and pulling the mower as you work on your yard. Therefore, if you have an uneven or difficult terrain to work on, then it is highly advisable that you go for a self-propelling lawnmower.
The width of the base of the mower
The base area of the mower will dictate how wide the mower can cut the grass in one go, hence, how fast you can finish your mowing. If you have a large yard, then the base area can make a lot of difference in the total time you need to complete the job. But in as much as mowers with wider bases will get the job done quickly, you should be advised that they are likely to be bulky, and may also be a little more expensive.
The speed of the mower
Most of the self-propelled mowers you will find in the market today comes with a variety of speed options. These give the users the versatility to adjust the speeds as they see appropriate and depending on how fast or how slow they want to do the mowing. Most of the fastest models can mow at a speed of 3 – 5 mph, and this should be sufficient for most people’s mowing needs unless you want to be jogging while you mow the lawns.
The weight of the mower
The weight of the mower has a direct impact on your ability to operate it as well as the price. Big mowers can be very heavy, and controlling them while you mow can be a real challenge. When buying the mowers, try to lift it up and moving them around to see if you can operate it without any difficulty. If you feel that is heavy when still stationary, then controlling it will be a real challenge when in operation, and as such, you should consider choosing a lighter one.
The noise by the mower
Naturally, most buyers will prefer to go for mowers with very low noise during operation. The noise levels that you can entertain will mainly depend on where you live and whether or not your community may complain if you were to operate a noisy mower. As far as the noise is concerned, just know that electric mowers make far less noise compared to gas lawnmowers. Therefore, if you generally want to have quiet operations, then you should consider going for electric mowers.
The rear-wheel drive and the front-wheel drive
The other consideration you should make when buying lawnmowers is the operations of the rear-wheel drive and the front-wheel drive. Many designs for most of the self-propelled mowers have flexible wheel designs that give them the pleasure to deal with the varying terrains. For good performance, you should consider rear-wheel drive self-propelled mowers. They are easy to operate on both tough terrains as well on places with hard to push features such as in trenches and hills. But if you don’t have a so difficult terrain and you want a self-propelled lawnmower, then you should go for the front wheel systems.
Best self-propelled lawn mower under 300
Listed below are our top picks for the best self-propelled lawn mowers under $300. In arriving at our list, we not only considered the above factors but also checked the review and reputation of past buyers, the overall performance of the mower, the user interface and the specific features, the cost and the charge time and the run time.
1. Greenworks 40V Self-propelled Dual Port Mower
- Self- Propelled Drive System
- Product dimensions – 65.35” L x 21.65” W x 33.07” H | Product…
- Durable 21″ steel deck allows you to handle large areas of grass…
- Self-propelled drive system with variable speed rear wheel drive lets…
- Dual battery port design enables one battery to be stored while the…
Our very first recommendation for a self-propelled lawnmower is the Greenwork’s 40V self-propelled dual-port mower. It is one of the best self-start electric mowers you will find in the market today and a great one if you need a reliable mower you can use in both medium and large-sized yards. Its design is sleek, with a nice shade of the color green, with very comfortable handles and controls. But this mower is not just about aesthetics. The features and the functionality are great, and you will also enjoy its ease of operation.
There are two variations of this mower by Greenworks. The first one is a two non-self-propelling 40V model that doesn’t have a battery but comes with an extra cutting edge blade. The second one is the self-propelled version, and which is reviewed herein.
This particular model boasts of a 21” steel deck made from very high good quality durable steel materials. The deck has an additional battery compartment to enable users to carry an extra battery, though it is sad to note that this model doesn’t come with any battery. This is a huge setback for many users who will be compelled to buy a separate battery, thus making the model be slightly expensive.
The other notable feature of this mower is that it comes with 3-in-1 capabilities – a feature you will not find in most of the mowers selling below $300. With these features, you can easily discharge, mulch, and bag as you proceed with the mowing. It will save you lots of time you would have spent to do these actions separately.
- Has an electric start button
- Efficient wheels with bearings for great maneuverability
- Has brushless motor to increase its lifespan and make very low noise
- Has dual battery compartment
- Fitted with the 3-in-1 capabilities
- Doesn’t come with a battery. You have to buy your own
- Comes with just a single speed option
2. Lawn-boy 6.5 Gross Torque Kohler Self-propelled lawn mower
- Rear Wheel Drive System provides a better traction and control on…
- 2-Point Height-of-Cut System allows you to quickly adjust cutting…
- 3 year Tru-Start Commitment – starts with 1 or 2 pulls or Lawn-Boy…
- Kohler 149cc/ 6.5 ft.-lbs. Gross Torque/ OHV Engine
- CARB Compliant for the state of California
You cannot go wrong when choosing a lawn boy as your mower. It’s lightweight, easy to use, and glides very smoothly over the grass. The Lawn-boy 6.5 Gross Torque Kohler Self-propelled lawnmower has been designed to last, and given that you get it at such a low price, it is a great steal if you are looking for longevity and performance from your lawnmower.
The mower is fitted with a strong and reliable Kohler engine that is turned on by just a turn of a key. While in operation, the rear wheel works to provide more traction which in turn improves the control and the maneuverability of the machine.
On the controls, you can easily and quickly adjust the cutting heights to what you desire given that the mower comes fitted with a 2 point height of the cut system.
The mower features an all-wheel-drive system which makes it ideal for rough, flat, and hilly terrains.
It is also important to point out that the machine has an operator-centric design that allows for user-friendly maintenance. It also comes with certain features that you will only find in commercial-grade lawn mowers, and these give it incredible performance, reliability, and durability. You will also love the fact that it has a 3-in-1 feature, and this will save you an incredible amount of time while mowing your lawns.
The mower comes with iron-clad bulletproof warranty in case something goes wrong. This makes the purchase practically risk free. Overall, its a little expensive than average but worth the price.
- Fantastic value for money
- Comes with top-grade features which increases efficiency and reliability
- Comes with a start engine button
- Features the 3-in-1 discharge ability
- Minor flaws in the front wheel design
- Otherwise, no major cons.
3. Yard Machine 21-inch self-propelled gas lawn mower
- Powered by a durable 140cc OHV engine
- Equipped with a 21″ steel deck with dual-lever height adjustment
- This Yard Machines Push Lawn Mower is perfect for mowing small to…
- Side discharge and mulching capability
- Features 7 x 11-inch wheel size for easy turns
Yard Machine self-propelled lawn mower features rear-wheel drive system. It is fitted with a 159cc gas engine to provide the torque and power for smooth mowing. With a 21” cutting swath and a sturdy steel deck, the mower is ideal for working on small to medium yards. The engine is no choke and no prime, and this simply implies it starts and operates so smoothly.
The wheels are about 8”, but the good thing is that they can be adjusted so that you can mow terrains with varying gradients and difficulties. But since it is the front-wheel-drive model, it is most suited for flat terrains, though it can work in other terrains as well, but not with greater performance.
The 2-in-1 feature allows for side discharge as well as mulching operations while you work on the lawn. Though this is a great time saver, it is not as efficient as those fitted with the 3-in-1 features. The machine also comes with a height adjustment feature controlled by two levers. This means that setting your cut height is relatively easy since you can do it without the need to pay any attention to the deck.
- It is a reliable mower with a relatively big tank
- It is lightweight – this makes it easy to operate
- Starting it is super easy
- Has 2-in-1 feature for discharging and mulching
- It doesn’t come with a collection bag
- Has only one speed, and this may be limited to those who would want faster operations
- There are no ergonomic features like handle padding to reduce the vibrations
4. PowerSmart 21 inch 3-in-1 Gas Self Propelled Mower
- 170CC OHV GAS ENGINE & 21-INCH STEEL MOWING DECK: PowerSmart…
- ADJUSTABLE CUTTING DEPTH: The self-propelled mower has 5-position…
- FLEXIBLE AND AGILE: 3-in-1 side discharge and mulching capability…
- QUICK FOLDING & TIDILY STORAGE: The gas power lawn mower can be…
- CUSTOMER SATISFICATION: PowerSmart is always aiming on providing great…
The PowerSmart 21 inch 3-in-1 Gas Self Propelled Mower ranks highly as one of the best petrol lawnmowers you can ever have for your garden. It is highly recommended if you have large gardens which you mow often.
On the first look, you may think of it as just any other mower from PowerSmart, but a closer look will reveal to you a set of features that completely makes it totally different from the rest. One of these features is a large bag at the rear which you won’t find in most mower models. Additionally, the mower comes with side discharge as well as mulching capabilities.
On the height, the PowerSmart Mower has a total of 5 adjustable height settings. This gives you incredible control to cut the grass according to your preferred height, and it also makes it easy to establish a uniform cutting height throughout the lawn.
When you buy it, you won’t need any detailed instruction or expert help in assembling it. The instruction manual is well written and easy to follow that you will be done with the assembly in just a matter of minutes. All you have to do is follow the guide to put the parts together, and then add gas and oil and you will be good to go.
Also worth noting is that the mower comes with 8-inch wheels that are large enough to handle most of the common mowing needs. With a 159cc Briggs and Stratton 5hp engine, you will have the power to the job on your lawn done to the most satisfying levels.
- Features easy assembly
- Easy to start
- Comes with a side discharge and mulching capabilities
- Very affordable with superior performance
- No push-button start, though easy to start
5. Husqvarna L221A 21-inch Walk-behind Self-propelled Mower
- All-wheel-drive is ready for any terrain
- 15-Gauge Steel deck remains durable and tough
- 21-Inch cutting width
- Large capacity collection bag lets you accomplish more
- Engineered tire treads offer superior traction
Husqvarna L221A 21-inch Walk-behind Self-propelled Mower is a front-wheel self-propelled lawnmower fitted with 149cc Kohler engine that makes it deadly effective in getting the job done. Though it comes with just a single speed setting, this is sufficient for most of the user’s needs.
But the deficiency in the speed is well compensated in the 3-in-1 feature and the whopping 21” cutting deck. It is also pleasing to note that the mower comes with a 4 point cutting height adjustment and this allows for incredible control at just how long or how short you want your grass cut.
Other than the adjustable cutting height, the mower has 8-inch wheels, with the rear set being slightly smaller than those in the front. Given the free movement of the wheels, the maneuverability of the machine is quite easy, and this means that controlling it is also easy.
Setting it up after purchase is relatively easy if you can follow the simple instructions on the manual. When you purchase it, it comes with free oil, and all you have to do is top it up with gas and you will be ready to start roaring.
- Has a 21” deck
- Easy to start and operate
- Easy to set up after buying
- It is a front wheel drive mower
- Comes with 3-in-1 capabilities
- Fitted with 149cc Kohler engine
- Has a one-speed setting
6. Poulan Pro 961120130 Briggs Side Discharge Push Mower
- Briggs & Stratton 163cc 725 exit engine
- 22 inch 3-in-1 mower deck (bagging, side discharge, mulch)
- Rear wheel drive
- 5 position height adjusters
Poulan has done an incredible job in the design of this model. It is not only affordable but also easy to use and comes with all the features you will ever need for a good mowing experience. It is fitted with the 450E 125cc Briggs and Stratton prime engine, and this is an assurance of super performance, reliability longevity for your lawn mowing endeavors. Also featured is a 20-inch deck.
The side discharge feature keeps your feet dirt-free and clean.
With 4 quick height adjusters that allow for five different cutting heights, you have the versatility to control the height of your lawns with much ease during the mowing process. Also, both the front and the rear wheels are all 7-inch, making it ideal to operate in common terrains found in most homes.
- Fitted with a 125cc engine for better performance
- Has 5 adjustable cutting heights
- Has a maximum forward speed of 3mph
- It’s a side discharge mower
- Nuts may fall during wheel on backward
- Weak chassis
It is vital for you to take time and check on the lawn mowers you want to buy before making any commitments. You need to carefully consider your needs so that when you get to the market, you will have a pretty good idea of the kind of mower you need to purchase. For those interested in self-propelled lawnmowers below $300, we have given a detailed brief above on what you need to consider, and we have also given our top recommendations for self-propelled mowers below $300. It is our sincere hope that you will find this guide helpful towards helping you purchase a mower whose performance you will be satisfied with.
Further reading and resource:
2) Lawn Mower Safety – www.healthychildren.org
3) Mowing your Lawn – www.extension.iastate.edu
These are the best self-propelled mowers under $300 in 2021