Best Lawn Mower For Senior Citizens selection is easy if you follow buying guide. Lightweight, easy to push, low maintenance and easy to start movers is best for senior citizens.
Are you retiring? And gardening has always been your passion? You never had time for it, now, that you have but your muscles are losing strength. Gardening offers various health and therapeutic benefits to people of all ages.
Gardening can be fun for the younger generation but it becomes harder for people above 40 or around 50. As we age our physical and medical conditions start restricting our recreational activities.
Cheer up! Technology has got you covered. Constant invention and improvement in technology have now made it possible. There are so many aids available but here we are only going to discuss lawn mowers for the senior citizens.
Best Lawn mower for senior citizens Guide
Though lawn mowers are made to do one job and that is mowing the lawn. But every lawn mower is different, some of them are easier to use but some of them are not. As we age, we look for equipment that is easier to handle and maintain.
Things to consider before making a purchase
- People over 40: If you are above 40, go for the riding mower. Though they are a little expensive they are ideal lawn mowers for the elderly.
- Yard size: For a larger area, go for the gas one, otherwise, the electric mower will do the job for you.
- Storage space: electric mowers require less space. Look for the mower with folding handles if you don’t want your mower to take much space.
- Smaller Wheels: Avoid buying a mower with bigger wheels.
- Padded Seat: Make sure you get a comfortable seat to sit on as it requires time and an uncomfortable sitting can cause serious damage.
Best Lawn Mower available for senior citizens
Here are the few best and most highly recommended lawn mowers available online for older generations:
1. Craftsman T225 19 HP Briggs & Stratton Gas Powered Lawn Mower
The finest lawn mower for the elderly offering maximum aid in mowing bigger yards. This riding lawn tractor with a high-back seat is appropriate for seniors with mobility issues and back problems.
This Craftsman T225 19 lawn mower having a 19 horsepower engine provides an even cut while mowing thick grass with no difficulty. Armed with foot-operated hydrostatic transmission serves power and significant acceleration.
The 46″ cutting deck does its work quietly. It cuts and clips grass in a single quick sweep. Integrated deck wash is a bonus for elders as it makes it easier to clean after use.
Another feature that works in the elder’s benefit is that it mows in forward and reverse gears.
Minimal assembling is required. The steering wheel and seat are delivered unattached. The seat is fastened using clips while the steering wheel is fixed into the steering column and tightened with a bolt.
Product Dimensions: 71.75 x 51 x 47 inches
Item weight: 582 pounds
Power Source: Gas Powered
Model Number: T225 19 HP
Engine: 19 horsepower
Cutting Deck: 46″
Transmission Type: Hydro Transmission
Wheel Size: 15″ front and 20″ rear wheels
- Sturdy built
- Starts without choke
- Add-ons for attachment
- 15″ front and 20″ inch rear turf saving wheels
- 2-year warranty
- Sensitive speed handle
2. Sun Joe MJ401C-Pro 14-Inch 28-Volt Cordless Push Lawn Mower
Sun Joe push electric lawnmower is a sound choice for seniors looking for a budget-friendly purchase. Cordless push lawn mower guarantees promising features at a lower price.
Cordless design makes manoeuvring as painless as possible. Features a 28 V 4 Ah rechargeable lithium-ion battery having a run time of 25 minutes.
Pushing requires little effort which is a boon for a senior. It cuts grass of various heights like a champ.
It comes with an adjustable deck so a senior can adjust the height with ease.
The battery-powered mower cuts crisp 14″ wide and 1.18 – 2.52 inch tall in a single run. Equipped with a 10.6-gallon grass catcher for easier disposal.
It weighs 23 lbs and features a 600 W motor. Proven to be a workhorse does the job perfectly with no fuss.
Comes with a 2-year warranty. If you are looking for the best mower under 1000 sun joe should be the first choice.
- Product Dimensions: 61.5 x 21 x 16.5 inches
- Item weight: 23.1 pounds
- Power Source: Battery
- Model Number: MJ401C
- Manufacturer: Snow Joe
- Accessories: Detachable grass catcher (10.6 gallons)
- Height Positions: 3
- Cutting Height: 1.18 -2.52 inch
- Battery Capacity: 5 Ah
- Acreage per charge: ¼
- Blade length:14
- Speed: 3000 rpm (no load)
- Battery: 28V 4Ah lithium-ion battery
- Low price
- Lightweight and easy to push
- Perfect for small to medium-sized lawns
- Powerful and quiet
- Easy assembling
- Replaceable battery
- Shortest battery life for larger yards
- Long battery recharge time
- Grass catcher needs emptying repeatedly
3. Recharge Riding Lawn Mower G1-RM1027-Inch With Grass Catcher
This appealing yellow riding mower is best for the elderly for its quiet service.
This lawn mower can make the laborious task feel like a walk in the park for a senior. They can mow the lawn without taking a single step.
Low maintenance and smooth drive make it easier to handle. The battery lasts up to 3 hours giving sufficient time to maneuver the entire lawn on a single charge.
A senior can experiment with the garden looks thanks to its 5 cutting height positions. Comes with a 27″ wide cutting path.
Eco-friendly design requires no gas, oil, and fumes.
Delivered with three sealed batteries, charger, instruction manual, and a grass catcher.
A smart charger turns off when recharged.
900 Watt electrical blades for faster cutting
Auto-off when the driver leaves the seat.
- Package dimensions: 46.5 x 29.5 x 29 inches
- Item weight: 300 pounds
- Power Source: Battery Powered
- Model Number: G1-RM10
- Manufacturer: Recharge
- Speed: 3800 RPM
- Cutting Deck: 27″
- Height Positions: 5
- Cutting Height: 0.75 to 2.75 inch
- Longer battery run-time
- Operates in reverse gear
- Requires fewer tune-ups
- Stiff steering
- Not well balanced when traversing inclines
4. Greenworks 40V 20-inch Cordless Twin Force Lawn Mower
Greenworks Twin Force battery-operated lawn mower is one of the best in the market for the elderly. Lightweight user-friendly design offers smooth functioning with less noise.
This battery-powered push lawn mower is apt for ⅓ acres of yard. Equipped with a backup battery port that can be plugged in when the primary one runs out. The approximate run-time is 70 minutes when using both batteries.
A senior citizen can find comfort in the fact that it weighs just 42.5 lbs with 7″ front and 10″ rear wheels for easier pushing.
20″ cutting deck with dual blades provides a supreme cut quality. Serves up to 5 height positions ranging from 1-¾” to 3-⅜”.
Smart cut technology adjusts power as per the thickness of the grass. Battery run-time also depends upon the grass condition and the operator’s working technique.
Delivered with G-max 25302 lawn mower, charger, 2Ah and 4Ah batteries.
- Dimensions: 29.20 x 20.66 x 19.5 inches
- Weight: 42.5
- Power Source: Battery Operated
- Item Model Number: 25302
- Manufacturer: Greenworks
- Battery Capacity: 2Ah, 4Ah
- Replacement Battery: 29472, 29462
- Cutting Deck: 20″
- Deck Material & Type: Plastic, Stamped
- Discharge: 2-in-1
- Height Positions: 5
- Cutting height: 1-¾” to 3-⅜”
- Wheel Size: 7″ front, 10″ rear wheels
- Efficient dual blades
- Easy to push
- Dual Batteries
- Cordless Eco-friendly design
- Maneuvers mid-sized lawn on a single charge
- Limited 3-years warranty
- Not suitable for denser lawn trimming
- Shorter battery life for thicker areas
5. Husqvarna MZ61 61 in. 24 HP Kawasaki Hydrostatic Zero Turn Riding Mower
Husqvarna lawn mower is on our list for the top 7 lawn mowers for the elderly because of its sturdy design. The tubular stress resident steel frame carries the machine load with pride.
The 11 gauge steel deck adds more stability, strength, and durability to its nature. Advanced belt adjusting technology reduces wear and tear, maximizes belt life by keeping the tension constant.
A supremely padded seat maximizes comfort thus making hard work a delightful activity.
- Cutting range: 5+
- Deck gauge: 10
- Engine: Kawasaki
- Fuel capacity: Five gallons
- Cutting height: 5MPH (maximum)
- Forward Speed: 8MPH (maximum)
- Engine horsepower: 24HP
- Starring: Double lap bar
- Wheel size: 22-in
- Transmission type: Dual hydrostatic
- Overall width(with deck): 62.8 inches
- Provides unmatched results.
- Adjustable uniformly padded seat.
- Comes with 3-years warranty
- Quite large and a bit pricey.
- Controls are a little sensitive.
6. GreenWorks 20 inch 3-in-1 12 Amp electric Corded Lawn Mower
Another piece of equipment from Greenworks to help gardeners. Cordless 3-in-1 design helps seniors keep the grass at a manageable level.
The battery lasts up to 45 minutes enough to manoeuvre middle-sized lawns. The 2Ah and 4Ah battery takes 30 minutes and 1 hour to charge, respectively. Brushless motors are equivalent in working to a 160cc gas engine.
Smart cut load sensing technology adjusts the speed of the blade as per the thickness of the area. It is suitable for an elder as it saves energy and operates quietly.
A senior can get this thing to work with no hassle for its easier to use design. Vertical storage with folding handles allows it to fit in small garages.
- Item Dimension: 33.3 x 18.2 x 20.4 inches
- Weight: 74.10 lbs
- Power Source: Battery Powered
- Model Number: GLM801602
- Deck size & Material: 21″ , Steel
- Cutting Positions: 7
- Cutting Height: 1-⅜ to 3-¾ inches
- Wheel Size: 8″ front and 10″ rear wheels
- Battery Capacity: 4Ah
- Works well on flat and hilly areas
- Side and rear grass clippings discharge
- Sufficient Battery Time
- 4-years warranty
- Poor performance on damp grass
- Imperfect folding function on handles
7. Troy Bilt Mustang Z46 Zero Turn Rider Lawn Mower
Troy Bilt has been working to deliver superior quality gardening equipment since 1937.
Made with keeping an elderly ‘s comfort in mind, a heavy-duty fully padded high back chair does not just reduce vibration but also maximizes comfort.
Innovative full pressure lubrication feature ensures smooth oil delivery and its rough and tough construction makes it stronger and more reliable.
The dual hydrostatic transmission does not just improve maneuverability but also reduces mow time. Foam grip starring absorbs sweat and helps you in riding in comfort.
- Engine displacement: 679cc
- Fuel capacity: 3.5 gallons
- Engine oil capacity: 2qt.
- Battery: 230 CCA
- Forward & Reverse speed: 7MPH and 2.5MPH
- Deck width: 46″
- Front & Rear tires: 11″x6″-5″ and 20″x8″-8″
- Starring control: Lap bar
- Deck positions: 9
- Transmission: Dual ETZ 2200
- 12 gauge steel construction.
- Comes with 3 Year Warranty
- Small fuel tank.
What are lawn mowers for? Why are they now a necessity?
Lawn Mowers are used to cutting grass and other unwanted plants or weeds grow on the ground. They are now becoming a necessity because:
- It is cheaper to mow your lawn yourself than to get it done by someone else.
- They help you in saving your time and energy.
- It’s a good exercise.
Gas vs. Battery Powered Electric lawn mower
They are made to mow bigger lawns. And they are pretty much cheaper than the electric ones. They have the ability to mow both grass and weeds. They are bought to mow ½ or ¼ acres of lawn. But they are a little noisy. Blade sharpening, tune-ups need to be done on a regular basis.
Battery Powered Electric Mowers
These battery-powered Mowers are designed to cater to small lawns. They are super handy and are much easier to maintain than the gas ones. They can run up to 30 to 45 minutes( That is enough to mow a front yard or small lawns). And they are not noisy at all.
A lawnmower for the elderly is the one that causes less stress on muscles. Budget and health play an important role in making the purchase decision.
Every lawn requires a different lawnmower as per the size and density of the grass. A senior can choose a lawnmower that fits his budget and requirement. This Best Lawn Mower for Senior Citizens collection is reviews and experience of gardeners.